Saturday, August 23, 2008

the gorge

Yesterday we set out for our long awaited concert at The Gorge. We bought these Jack Johnson tickets months ago and I swear it felt like it'd be years before we got to go! But at the same time, it felt like just yesterday when we were calling each other to see who wanted to go and organizing camping and all of the fun things that go with a mass road trip with loved ones from near and far.

So we all decided to meet at the gas station in George. If you're not familiar with Washington, you might ask "how can you meet at THE gas station?" But it's possible. I think that's pretty much all there is. A gas station and a general store - oh yeah - and a liquor store!

So we all met there to caravan to the campground together. "We" was Mike and I, my Dad and Kay, my friend Becca, Josh and Becky and a couple of friends of theirs. I was actually quite impressed that when we said "let's meet at 1 at the before-mentioned gas station", we all ended up there within 5 minutes of each other. Now that might not sound too impressive but considering we all came from different areas of the NW United States, it was quite the feat.

We got to the campground and got set up. It was a regular tent city. I have never really seen anything like this, actually. I know that the Gorge in itself can accommodate 22,000 people and they say they will never run out of camping space. But I think they came dang close. No matter which way you looked, there were tents as far as you could see. And every tent there had the same goal in mind. Chillin'. And chill we did. We set up lawn chairs and poured the margaritas. We put up the hillbilly horseshoes and held onto our beers. And above all, we played music and sang and laughed. We had no agenda. And it was good.

Until we all remembered that we actually came for a show too. So after a few hours in the sun, we headed along the trails until we reached our destination. The port a potty line.

After which we went to the show. Fully intending to sit and bob our heads, we laid out our blankets and set up our spot on the grass - in the way back of the amphitheater. But if anyone knows me, they know I like to rock. So after one amazing song in the back, we decided it was time to jump to the front. And then the show began. Jack Johnson put on such an amazing set that at one point, I nearly teared up. This is the first concert that I've ever been to that people weren't ramming into each other. No one was cussing about their view. As a matter of fact, we weren't shoved together like sardines either. Which is pretty amazing for a sold out show. But something about his smooth sounds just brings people to a common place that just oozes good things. And that is so refreshing.

If Jack ever comes again, I will be there. 'Nuff said.

I do want to thank my Daddio and Kayzo for driving all the way to Seattle beforehand and spending half of the week with us. It was so much fun and you can't ever know how much it means to me!

I also want to thank my great friend Becca for coming all the way from Missoula with her family as well. I know that's quite the jaunt for an overnight camping trip. But it was SOO great to see you!

Also, thanks to Josh and Becky for toting all of our abandoned blankets back to the campground after we bolted into the crowd. We heart you!

And last, but certainly not least - thank you to my dear friend Kate for spending the night with Mackenzie since she insisted on being here for her boyfriend's birthday. You are a fabulous friend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just another one of a million great memories we've made together (minus the porta-potty line). Concerts at the gorge are fun... weeeeeeee!