Wednesday, December 3, 2008

first crush

Our baby, Payton, is 8 years old. Well, actually she is 8 and 1/2 years old - which is HUGE when you are of that age. She has recently informed me that she has a boyfriend. A boyfriend!?! I think to myself - she's only a baby! And then I remember I was that same age the first time a boy brought me flowers or a teddy bear or even asked to take me out for a bowl of oatmeal. It's called puppy love for a reason.

So her boyfriend's name is Maleio. He's been in her class and a close friend since kindergarten. He's a cute little island boy that makes her grin from ear to ear. So I decide to talk to her about it and when I do, the conversation is quite reminiscent of one I had around that same age.

Mom: So Maleio's your boyfriend. What's that mean?
Payton (smiling): Mooooom, it means we're going out.
Mom: Really? Where are you guys planning on going?
Payton (still smiling): Mooooooooooooom, you don't GO anywhere. It just means you're friends.
Mom: But you have lots of friends. And you were already friends. What's the difference?
Payton (huffing): You just don't understand.

Okay, so I do understand. But you wouldn't be a kid unless that conversation happened at some point in your life. I remember it happening after finding Mackenzie slow dancing with her friend Terry to a Disney Movie in first grade. You could replay it almost identically except with Mackenzie she was blushing instead of smiling. Funny the difference. But that's a whole other story.

So, Payton and I are driving home from school/work on Wednesday night when I'm asking her about her day. She says it was awesome. For a number of reasons that it's awesome most days. She's a kid with a good outlook so this isn't uncommon at all. After listing off her reasons, she starts telling me "such a funny story" about how all of her friends are taking a bet on whether her best friend, Olivia, could beat her boyfriend, Maleio in a wrestling match. So I ask her why them? And she responds that they are both SO tough that naturally they would be the ones to battle. Then the convincing begins...

Payton: Mom (emphasis on the Mom), Maleio is so tough that he can fall down and not even cry. Maleio is so tough that he is this this and that. And it continues on. Until I get this one. Maleio is so tough that he once arm wrestled me, Olivia and Collin all at the same time. And won!

"Wow," I say, "that's really impressive."

And that's when her voice drops quite low and she tells me: Mom, Maleio is SO tough that I think he might even be able to beat Mike in an arm wrestling match.

Oh - my - word. Our baby girl has just met that boy who is so amazing the only person she can think to compare him to is her Daddy. I think we're in trouble.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I refuse to acknowledge that there is another man in Payton's life. Next topic!

Eileen said...

Oh my...so it begins. Ask if the boyfriend can beat Grandpa!

Beppu Family said...

Wow!! Unbelievable!! =) And so cute!

Anonymous said...

They do grow up too fast huh? And Kevin still hasn't had a girlfriend! (that I know of) Love you guys!