Saturday, March 21, 2009

shocking, really

Today I finally did it! After all of these years of telling Mike I wanted to do an actual bike event, I took the plunge and rode the smallest loop of that day's offering - 20 miles.

Yes, that's right - twenty miles.

TWO. OH.

The funny thing about it was it felt more like three miles. And I don't know if it was just because I was excited, scared, determined, in good company, or plain old ready to be out there. It felt so good. So good trying to load the bikes on the car all by myself that morning. So good trying to figure out how to register for the ride and so good putting my tire back on without asking for help. So good charging up the hills and not hitting the breaks (for once) on my way back down. So good discovering an area I'd never been to by actually experiencing the smells and scenes up close and personal. So good knowing that I could quit and also knowing that I didn't want to. So good that my friend rode with me for emotional support - although she couldn't even remember if she knew how to ride a bike. And especially so good when I pulled up to the finish and started looking for Mike and his dad. Knowing he would be there smiling, proud and ready to drink a beer (and a shot of tequila) with me was the best feeling in the world.

So when's the next ride? 'Cuz I got the fevah...




Read a much better take on this story at http://mudsweatbeers.blogspot.com/2009/03/ride-report-mcclinchy-mile.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! -once again tooo impressive for the Helena crew! What a great accomplishment for such a gal!! Not to say that roughly, just never would have thunk it that my little Lisa is so determined in her Busy life to have time for such, like training, grasping the "bike" relm, and going forward to finish such an awesome thing, for YOU!!! So very proud once again girl!! WOW!!!-Love Rae
And a Big congrats to the man that has made this woman now a "Montana and Washington" gal-mountains,hills, or creeks, and all you do is so so impressive!! I need to move there to get a life!!