Sunday, August 23, 2009

shoot your dishwasher

And I don't mean that nice young man working in the back of your kitchen. I'm talking about that big shiny energy-and-water guzzling machine that's taking up your valuable cabinet space. Drag it in the back yard and take a bb gun or a sling shot and shoot it repeatedly.

Why, you ask?

Well, recently we moved into what I consider to be our dream home. But when we were looking at said dream house, we almost passed it by because of the fact that it didn't have a dishwasher. I mean, we are a family of five. Our dinner dishes alone fill up a counter or two. And that doesn't include those other five meals in the day. So why would we even think to do this to ourselves? 'Cuz we're crazy, that's why.

But what I've discovered in the last month and a half of doing dishes by hand - every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. In a sink that doesn't even divide so I'm constantly regulating my water levels and controlling the fluff of my bubbles - is that it takes me to a bit of a zen place. I know that sounds nuts, but it's true. And here are a few reasons why:

It's mindless. I spend all day thinking about what needs to be done, how to get it done, when to get it done, and what I'll do after it's done. For once I have an excuse to spend a good half an hour of my day just washing. And scrubbing. And rinsing. It's not hard. It's just totally mindless. Sometimes you just need that.

I enjoy the view. My kitchen sink looks over our new back yard. A back yard that needs some major love. And that major love has been coming from my husband on many a hot evening. Without his shirt on. So I gaze out the window and watch his rippling biceps gleaming in the hot summer sun. Occasionally he peeks over at me and of course, I look away as fast as I possibly can. But when we finally do make eye contact, I get the sweetest smile from that man. Sometimes you just need that.

It's a sense of accomplishment. There's something about good clean work that just feels damn fine. And sometimes you just need that.

It's environmentally friendly. And you know this, man. Most people who use a dishwasher go ahead and wash their dishes before loading them into the washer. Hmm. Really? In this day and age do we really need to use that kind of energy to wash our barely dirty dishes - twice!? It's called conservation. There are people in this world who don't get a glass of water a day. Sometimes they just need that.

So please, load up your dishwasher with your favorite candy. Lug it into the backyard and string it from a tree. Then take your old baseball bat and whack that pinata until it blows.

8 comments:

Mike said...

I love this post! Getting back to "simple" has been one of the great joys of this summer. I also like that while I'm working in the yard with my "rippling something or another" (yeah, right), I can see you in the kitchen window looking back. Awesomeness. Also, you should write adult novels.

Lisa Hahn said...

Quivering member

Anonymous said...

And so the agreement is there for those who have small familys, but isn't this what we have children for??? JK Well what about a germ-a-phobe?? Like myself, that does wash off the dishes and put them in the dishwasher, and the rest of the Tuffli clan with alittle O.C.D. on the side, love ya and all but cannot, yes cannot do it without the sanitation and sterilization of my lovely energy saving dishwasher!!! I totally agree on the zoning out thing though, a think of it as the retard state of my day, kinda like auto pilot!! And an excuse to watch out the beautiful back yard that we waste all that "water" watering :) :) :) had to say it!! I would pick a dishwasher over a green backyard anyday!!! thats some love from the heart, and yes you totally should write adult novels!!!! I hope you are Laughing your ass off cause I totally am :) Cause you are so totally the best! Love Ya So Much,
Rae

Anonymous said...

did I say totally alot!!!

Eileen said...

My sister was right...this was so good. Maybe I need mindless work for awhile everyday.

Unknown said...

Sorry, Sweetie. If I shot the dishwasher, I'd just have to buy another. Even tho there is only me, I do like my dishwasher. I have to admit there was a time I washed the dishes before the dishwasher washed them but no more. Must have been a trust issue back then...You are too funny AND given I'll be helping with the dishes soon, I can't wait to see a man in the backyard with those "rippling something or anothers" :)

Dreaded Mother-In-Law said...

Did you know you would create a firestorm of controversy when you posted this? Of all our major appliances, the dishwasher is most beloved. Maybe right after the washing machine. When I come to visit, I plan to take the dishes to the driveway & hose them down. Tell Mike to put his shirt on. He'll get skin cancer.

Anonymous said...

Had to come back to the "beloved dishwasher" comments!!! I was sooo worried about what I posted, but i guess that there are others there with me too on the "save the dishwasher" Please!!! had to see what the comments brought to the surface of reality or should I say convenience???!! Gotta love it though cause it is totally Lisa to think of something to save the earth in some way. I remember childhood, with bugs, dirt and animals and you sure where the first to speak out if something was harmed for no apparent reason hun!! I still agree with Mike, you really need to think about a writing career-awesome, awesome, awesome!
Love Rae