Thursday, January 1, 2009

happy new year









I don't know about you, but when I think about how I'd like to ring in a new year - it's always with my loved ones in mind. Not competing with a bunch of twenty-somethings for a table in a bar. You can do that any day. I think of eating good food, having a toast, and smooching my husband. I think of it as a time to reflect on the past year and to be optimistic for the one to come. And that's why every year we opt to lay low.

So our new year's eve looked a little something like this:

Mikey made his grampa's famous stew. A recipe that he got from his mom and put much love into making. I gotta tell you it was so delicious.
We watched a movie called Chaos Theory - upon recommendation from my brother. Again - loved it and highly recommend it.
Made out. As much as I love doing this, I can't recommend this since it is mine and mine alone!
Talked about life, love and dreamt aloud.
And then banged on pots and pans outside as the new year rang in.
We then packed up to pick up our little man from his celebration and came home to fall fast asleep in each other's arms.

Waking up we had every intention to go with Josh and his girlfriend up to Snoqualmie to do some totally extreme tubing. Unfortunately, the pass was closed for avalanche control and we had to move on to plan B. And plan B needed to be some sort of outdoors activity. With the snow and the holidays, we were both going a little stir crazy. So after taking Joshy back to his other house we drove over to Lincoln Park in West Seattle to have a nice stroll on the beach. The weather was perfect for us to be able to just grab hands and roam for a couple of hours. After which, we earned a nice little snack at the Elliott Bay Brewing Co.



So happy new year, all! I can't think of a better way to celebrate and a better time to reflect on all of the beauty in my life. I am married to the man of my dreams. We share three of the most beautiful children on the planet and are surrounded by the most loving parents anyone could ask for. We have so many amazing people in both of our families who surprise and delight us regularly. Not to mention the friends who we can both laugh with and lean on each day. My only resolution is to take advantage of the beauty each of these people hold even more in 2009. Because man, we are blessed.

Cheers.

ps - I'll be including a song in every post this year - even if it looks tacky - I think it's worth it. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Sounds like a great New Year's celebration. Much better than mine! I am grateful for you and your family.

Mike said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (for another day or two, anyway)... this is gonna be a great year. We kicked it off right!

Anonymous said...

I've come out of the basement swamp & trying to catch up with my kids. SO glad you liked the stew. It was one of my favorites, & one of the few recipes my dad thought even my poor kitchen skills could handle. Happy New Year, sweet Lisa.